Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ellia Hat... finally.


Okay everyone, I finally have the hat pattern finished! It’s my first written out pattern, so I’m sure it’s slightly confusing, so if you have any questions, just let me know and I’ll address them right away. If you just pick up a hook and yarn and work through it, it’s much easier to understand and fairly quick hat to whip up.

I'm not actually great at reading crochet patterns, and I learned to knit before I learned to hook, so forgive me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ellia Cap

Materials:

Bulky yarn

Size I9/5.50mm hook


ch- chain
yo - yarn over
2tog - 2 together
hdc - half double crochet
dc - double crochet
tr- triple crochet

*Bobble Stitch*
Skip one stitch, YO and insert hook into stitch, draw yarn through. YO, pull through 2 stitches,
YO, pull through remaining two stitches.
YO, insert hook into same stitch, draw yarn through.
YO and draw through 2 stitches, YO, pull through one stitch (2 stitches remaining on hook).
YO, insert hook into same stitch, draw yarn through, YO, pull through 2 stitches, YO, pull through one stitch (3 stitches remaining on hook)
YO and draw through all 3 stitches.
CH1

*Beginning*
Ch 48

Row 1: Single Crochet into 2nd ch from hook, continue to end (47 stitches) Connect to first stitch with slip stitch. Ch 1 and turn. Row 2: SC around. Ch 1 and turn.
Row 3:
Repeat Row 2

Row 4:
SC around; Ch 3 and turn

Row 5:
Yo, insert hook into first stitch, draw yarn though, YO pull through 2 stitches, YO pull through remaining 2 stitches.
YO, insert hook into same stitch, draw yarn through. YO and draw through 2 stitches, YO, pull through one stitc
h (2 stitches remaining on hook). YO, insert hook into same stitch, draw yarn through, YO, pull through 2 stitches, YO, pull through one stitch (3 stitches remaining on hook) YO and draw through all 3 stitches. Finish round using bobble stitch pattern. After completing last bobble stitch, connect to first with a slip stitch into 3rd ch of very first ch3. CH 3 and turn.
Row 6 & 7:
Repeat row 5, stitching into the ch 1 between bobbles.

Row 8:
Bobble Stitch twice, and then bobble stitch two together (YO, insert hook into stitch and draw yarn through, move over to next ch between bobbles and insert hook and draw yarn through (4 stitches on hook).
YO and draw through 3 stitches, YO and draw through remaining 2 stitches and complete remaining steps. Continue in this pattern (Bobble twice, then Bobble 2tog) until end of row. Slip stich to first bobble, Ch3 and turn.
Row 9:
Bobble Stitch once, then bobble 2tog, continue around until end of row. Slip stit
ch to first bobble, Ch3 and turn.
Row 10: YO, insert hook into first stitch next to hook and drawn yarn through, insert hook into next “ch1” and drawn yarn through, YO and pull through 3 stitches, YO and pull through remaining two stitches. Complete last bobble stitch step, and Bobble 2tog the entire row. Ch3 and turn.
Row 11: Repeat row 10 until very end. Pull slip stitch through, cutting yarn and leaving a long tail. Using a yarn needle, insert yarn into remaining stitches and pull tight to close.
Weave in all ends.

Flower:
Using magic ring method, create a ring of 5 single crochets, connect with slip stitch, ch1 an
d turn.
*hdc, dc, tr, dc, hdc into first stitch, slip stitch into next stitch* and repeat from * to end for a total of
5 petals.
Weave in ends and connect to hat.


Copyright 2008, Sew Serious

Pattern for personal use only!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The yarn in the photos above are Frog Tree 100% Alpaca. The hat below was created with Blue Sky Alpaca, worsted weight.


I hope it’s not too hard to follow. It looks complicated on paper, but it’s easier to actually do. It's also very adaptable. Add more stitches and rows for a worsted weight yarn, make the back deeper for dreads or lots of hair. Can be worn snood style.

I'd love to see your versions!


So yes. There it is and I’m sorry for the delay.
Enjoy!

xo,
Rachel

5 comments:

Amber said...

Cute hat, and very neat and professional tutorial. Unfortunately, I cannot crochet if my life depended on it, so I won't be able to tell you if I was successful in making the hat. Good luck to everyone who tries!

mushroommeadows said...

Absolutely lovely! I wish I could knit!!! boo. :(

Kate said...

I'm only at the basic crochet level and I'm not sure if I can follow this, but I'm going to try. If you don't mind I'll share it with my mom who is a bit more advanced than I am. I think she'll like this a lot.

Kate said...

I'm tagging you! 7 Random Things about yourself, please.

Mal said...

love the hat - I think I might make it, but I need to go find illustrated bobble stitch instructions. I'm nooooo good with the written out stitch instructions.